For children due to transfer to a middle, secondary or high school in September 2022
Details of how to apply will be sent to your child's school at the start of Year 6.
View our website www.newcastle.gov.uk/admissions for full information and advice before, during and after the offers process.
What do I need to do and when?
· You must apply even if your child goes to a feeder link school.
- Apply before the closing date.
· If your child lives in Newcastle you must apply to Newcastle City Council for a transfer place regardless of the type of school you are applying to or which local authority the school is based in.
- If the admission policy for the school says that supporting evidence is required, make sure you gather this information and send it in within the timescale requested.
How do I decide which schools to apply for?
- You can apply for four schools; on the form these are called “preferences”.
- You should list four schools on your application to increase the chance of being offered a preferred school. Your child will be considered for a place at every school you name on the form (so naming four schools gives you more chances). List the school you want most first. If we can offer a place at more than one school, we will allocate the school you listed highest.
- We advise you apply to your nearest non-faith school as one of your preferences. Find your nearest schools using our online school finder at www.newcastle.gov.uk/admissions
- Read the admission policy for each of the schools that you are interested in to understand how places are allocated. Look at the information about how places were allocated last year to see how likely it is that your child will be offered a place. Try to make realistic choices.
- Find out more about the schools you are interested in by looking at information on their websites and making an appointment to visit.
- You can apply for four schools; on the form these are called “preferences”. You have four chances to get a preferred school.
- We advise you to apply to your feeder link school as one of your preferences as you are more likely to be offered a place at that school. Find your nearest schools using our online school finder at www.newcastle.gov.uk/admissions Does this need to be on a different line – just it’s not about feeder schools particularly?
- Read the admission policy for the schools you are interested in to understand how places are allocated. Look at the information about how places were allocated last year to see how likely it is that your child will be offered a place. Try to make realistic choices.
- Make an appointment to visit the schools you are interested in.
- Read the Ofsted report and other general school information.
- Think about how your child will get to school and the potential cost. Very few pupils are eligible for free home to school travel.
- Don’t base your decision on what other people say.
Timeline for applications to transfer to High School 2020
- Applications open 1st September 2019
- Deadline for applications 12 Noon 31st October 2019
- National Offer day 1st March 2020
- Last day for accepting offer 15th March 2020